There are loads of grabs in snowboarding and only two of the names actually make sense, so here’s a handy guide to get you in the know when it comes to snowboard grabs. Try some out and see what’s the most fun.
The diagram above shows a board as if you were looking down on it as a goofy rider. If you are regular, turn your screen upside down and it works the other way. Note the no grab zone, don’t grab here if you can help it, you will lose style points.
Front hand Grabs
- Seatbelt Grab – The seatbelt grab is where you grab the tail of your board with your front hand. They look great on a backside 180.
- Mute Grab – This is a pretty easy grab, front hand inside your front binding on your toeside edge. Great to start grabbing on spins.
- Nose Grab – The Nose grab can be a great looking trick all by itself. Front hand to the nose of your board .
- Melon Grab – The melon is another one you should tick of your bucketlist. Front hand inside your front binding on your heel edge.
`The Method Grab – is a tweaked out Melon that is one of the most stylish tricks in snowboarding. See the master Halldor Helgason having fin at the X-games.
The Japan Grab is a tweaked out Mute.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/eQeKwYsMwMs” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
Back Hand Grabs
5. Tail Grab – The Tail grab is your back hand onto the back of your board. They look great in a spin.
6. Indy Grab – The Indy grab is the classic that everyone should learn. Back hand inside your back binding on your toeside edge.
7. Crail Grab – The crail is the opposite to a seatbelt grab. Back hand to the nose of your board. A tough grab to master.
8. Stalefish Grab – The stalefish is another grab thats great for learning. Back hand between your back binding on your heel edge.
The Tucknee is a tweaked out Indy. Great for those retro shots.
Grabs through legs
9. Canadian Bacon – This grab is you back hand behind you, between your legs and on to your toe edge.
10. Taipan – This is where you grab mute but from behind your legs on your toe edge.
11. Roast Beef – This is your back hand from in front of your legs through to your heel edge.
12. Chicken Salad – This is your front hand from in front of your legs through to your heel edge.
Rocket Air – This is a Double Nose grab. both hands on the nose of your board.
Beef Curtains – Beef curtains is a double Roast Beef so both hands through your legs and onto your heel edge.
<iframe width=”560″ height=”315″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/eGry4pF5eUE” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen></iframe>
Holy Crail – The holy Crail showed by Sage Kotsenburg at the Sochi 2014 Olympics is a cool grab that combines a Crail and a Nose grab with crossed hands.
Mindy – Both hands in between your feet on your toe edge.
Now you know the names, het out there and learn some!